Director, Natural Start Alliance
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, October 24, 2016, 12:15am
Position Title: Director, Natural Start Alliance
Reports to: NAAEE Executive Director
NAAEE is looking for a talented, experienced environmental educator to lead our early childhood initiative, the Natural Start Alliance. (NAAEE’s office is located in Washington, DC. This position can be based in Washington, DC, or could be located outside of the DC area with the Director providing his or her own office space, phone, and computer.)
NAAEE is seeking a director to continue the growth and development of the Natural Start Alliance. The Natural Start Alliance Director provides overall project management for NAAEE’s early childhood initiative, represents Natural Start in national and international forums and print publications, conducts fundraising to support Natural Start and early childhood environmental education, coordinates the Nature-Based Preschool National Conference, and works with NAAEE to bring visibility and support to early childhood within the environmental education field. This position reports to the NAAEE Executive Director.
Provide overall project management
- Develop annual work plans aligned with NAAEE strategic goals
- Develop and manage project budget and business plan
- Develop and manage contracts with project consultants
- Supervise project consultants and interns
Lead fundraising efforts to support early childhood environmental education
- Set annual fundraising targets
- Identify and solicit grant support for Natural Start programs
- Manage reporting for all Natural Start grants
- Solicit donations and support from Natural Start members through fundraising initiatives
Coordinate the Nature-Based Preschool National Conference
- Lead site selection process for conference venues
- Lead a volunteer team in planning content and logistics for the annual conference
- Develop and maintain conference registration system
- Lead the development of all conference marketing materials, registration guides, and program guides
Lead advocacy efforts in support of early childhood environmental education
- Manage relationships with partner organizations to advance Natural Start’s advocacy goals
- Support the development of advocacy tools to assist Natural Start members in engaging in advocacy
- Participate in meetings related to both Natural Start’s advocacy work and NAAEE’s broader advocacy agenda for the environmental education field
Support the Council of Nature and Forest Preschools
- Provide overall support and guidance to the Council of Nature and Forest Preschools
- Provide logistical and technical support to the Council (webinars, networking calls, google docs to manage project activities, web content at NaturalStart.org, etc.)
- Oversee the maintenance of a database of nature and forest preschools in the United States
Maintain Natural Start website and communications tools
- Lead overall design and content for NaturalStart.org
- Develop monthly newsletter
- Maintain Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest accounts for Natural Start
- Respond to inquiries submitted through NaturalStart.org and email@example.com
Represent Natural Start in national and international forums and in print publications
- Lead workshops and conference sessions on early childhood environmental education topics
- Represent Natural Start in speaking engagements as appropriate
- Write articles, op-eds, blogs, etc. in support of early childhood environmental education
- Serve as point of contact for news media
Connect Natural Start to NAAEE’s overall work and structure
- Provide Natural Start summaries and updates for the NAAEE Board or Directors, staff, and others as needed
- Manage early childhood content on the NAAEE webpage and eePRO platform
- Represent Natural Start and provide support to NAAEE staff throughout NAAEE’s annual conference and research symposium
- Support NAAEE key initiatives such as the Annual Conference, Anecdotes to Evidence Campaign, fundraising initiatives, etc.
Working Relationships and Travel
Daily contact with Natural Start project consultants (including especially the Natural Start Alliance Assistant Director), NAAEE staff, Natural Start and NAAEE members and supporters.
Daily contact with external partners and colleagues related to all aspects of the position.
This position requires domestic travel about 1-2 times per month on average (more travel will be required if the position is not in the Washington, DC area) and occasional international travel.
Minimum Skills and Experience Required
Bachelor’s degree in a related field (environmental education, early childhood education, communications, environmental studies, etc.) with a Master’s preferred.
At least five years of education experience (in environmental and/or early childhood education), with significant experience in project management.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate success in:
- Working with a diversity of cultures and backgrounds, demonstrating a commitment to cultural competency, inclusion, and respect in all interactions
- Communicating very effectively, both in writing and orally, including in public speaking
- Building strong professional networks
- Raising funds from a variety of sources
- Managing multiple projects and supervising employees
- Managing large events
- Developing and managing budgets
- Using social media to advance project goals
How to Apply:
To apply, e-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled, but applicants are encouraged to apply by October 24, 2016. NAAEE is an equal opportunity employer with a deep organizational commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion in our workplace and throughout the field of environmental education.