The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, April 12, 2021, 12:00am
The purpose of the Education Director at Osprey Wilds Environmental Learning Center (OspreyWilds.org) is to provide leadership, management and execution of the highest quality environmental education programming for a wide variety of audiences. Programs include residential, day-use and outreach K-12, virtual, college, adult, community and senior programs, youth and family camps, and retreats/conference groups. As a senior-level administrator, this position assists the Executive Director.
Job title: Education Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Department: Educational Program
Job Location: Sandstone, Minnesota
Preferred starting date (flexible): June 1, 2021 or later
Job Type: Full-time/regular, salaried
Deadline: April 12, 2021
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum Level Education: Master’s Degree
- Preferred: K-12 Science Licensure and K-12 classroom teaching experience
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communications skills, including curriculum and public presentations.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in environmental education.
- Demonstrated commitment to educational equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Demonstrated leadership and management of teams in a professional setting.
- Excellent problem-solving, decision-making and prioritization skills.
- Good computer skills, including Google Suite, Zoom and Microsoft Office.
- Human resource management skills and experience, including organizational development, Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI), performance evaluations, goal setting, training and development, motivating, team building, hiring, and discipline.
- Ability to manage programs within budget, read financial statements, and use the information to guide decision-making.
- Experience with risk management and emergency procedures
- First Aid and CPR certification required, additional certifications preferred
- Favorable background screening required
- Driver’s license and ability to drive all types of vehicles, including 15 passenger vans with trailers
Program Management and Administration (30%)
- Direct all aspects of Osprey Wilds K-12, outreach, youth camp, family camp, & Road Scholar® programs, maintaining responsibility for appropriate, safe, and effective operations
- Maintain oversight of programs including scheduling, staffing, facilities, equipment, etc.
- Work collaboratively with other center department supervisors to ensure positive customer experiences while also enabling productive staff functioning in all departments
- Design, lead and support the professional development of Osprey Wilds educational program staff
- Lead and conduct the education department’s recruitment of staff, hiring, retention, and employee performance evaluations
Program Development, Marketing and Partnerships (30%)
- Seek, maintain & strengthen relationships with leaders of k-12 school clients
- Secure school attendance through retention of existing clients and recruitment of new schools
- Support the center’s executive, communication and development functions
- Assist with funding opportunities for programs, including grants and donations
- Work with Leadership Team and Marketing Coordinator for the effective execution of Osprey Wilds marketing strategies and activities, with focus toward increasing enrollment
- Assist in strategic and long-term planning for all Osprey Wilds programs
- Represent Osprey Wilds with a wide variety of local, regional and national professional organizations appropriate to the Osprey Wilds mission
- Review scholarship requests and follow up on funder requirements
- Support communication efforts, including but not limited to writing and/or editing of center literature, marketing and related efforts
- Seek out, develop and implement new educational opportunities and programs
Risk Management (10%)
- Ensure Osprey Wilds meets all local, state, and federal regulations for safety in the programs, including COVID-19 Preparedness
- Direct and oversee complete and timely safety practices for all Osprey wilds activities and facilities including policy, safety and security training for program staff
- Review programs and facilities regularly for safety and security compliance.
- Document all safety inspections, incidents, etc. as needed on a timely basis
Educational Vision and Leadership (10%)
- Lead entire Osprey Wilds educational program staff
- Lead the design process for, implement, and evaluate organization-wide educational goals, both short and long term, to position Osprey Wilds at the leading and growing edge of environmental education
- Lead, create and implement successful tactics to achieve assigned objectives of the organizational strategic plan
Financial and Business Management (5%)
- Develop and manage operating expense budgets for education programs under jurisdiction
- Assist in development of revenue budget and fee setting for programs, including appropriate scoping of new and existing programs
- Assist in development and execution of annual budget
- Ensure cost effective, high value and efficient use of financial resources in program delivery
Curriculum and Instructional Design Management (5%)
- Ensure that program design and implementation remain clearly aligned to the center’s mission, goals and strategic advancement efforts
- Review and adjust curriculum, resources and staff development in response to changing trends in the industry
- Manage re-accreditation process and evaluate the program based on accreditation rubric.
- Manage design and implementation of all program-based evaluation activities
- Monitor quality of education delivery, formally and informally through varieties of methods
- Periodically teach Osprey Wilds classes
- Maintain working knowledge of all Osprey Wilds programs & classes
- Create a working environment which promotes job satisfaction and growth for all employees. Work with employee concerns in a fair manner within policy guidelines.
- Enforce all Osprey Wilds policies in a fair, consistent manner
- Effectively solve facility and property needs relational to customer experience on a timely basis in collaboration with facilities staff.
- Maintain programs in a manner that ensures safety to staff and students at all times.
- Address critical issues on a 24/7 basis and respond as needed.
- Anticipate potential concerns in all areas of the business. Proactively plan to prevent concerns or issues.
DECISION MAKING/FREEDOM TO ACT
- This position is limited by all Osprey Wilds policies and local, state, and federal laws, rules and regulations
- This position must obtain Executive Director approval for spending beyond planned budget and for any capital spending
- This position must obtain Executive Director approval for addition of any new programs, curriculums, and initiatives
- This position has authority for all HR activities and decisions within the educational program
- This position has authority for all purchases within approved budget
- This position is accountable for the successful and timely execution of programs, policies, and procedures in accordance with the Osprey Wilds’ mission statement and business needs
- This position is accountable for annual revenues and expenditures of approximately $800,000
- This position is accountable for the actions and performance of 11 staff
- Employment at Osprey Wilds is “At Will” and is not a contract.
- Employment is conditional until acceptance of a favorable background screening.
- This position will require a minimum of 40 hours per week with a flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends, to fulfill business needs. Full-time attendance “on campus” is a normal expectation when not off-campus for business purposes, except for remote-working during COVID-19.
- This position will work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- This position requires work at heights of up to 40 feet.
- This position requires the ability to swim while wearing a PFD and adequately facilitate basic water rescue techniques.
- This position prefers competence in outdoor skills, including orienteering, canoeing, backpacking, Leave No Trace, camping, rock climbing, and ropes course management.
- This position requires occasional overnight, multi-day travel.
- This position requires regular and repetitive tasks related to computer and office work.
- This position requires a valid Class D driver’s license with a favorable driving record.
- This position requires physical exertion; occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs.
- This position requires the ability to travel under his/her own power, for hours at a time, through the terrain of the entire Osprey Wilds property in all types of Minnesota weather year-round.
- Starting Annual Salary of $45,000
- Eligible for Health Care and Simple IRA through Osprey Wilds. We currently offer health care coverage through Health Partners with a $3,000 individual deductible and $6,000 family deductible and contribute $600 annually into your HSA to be used towards your deductible. We match your Simple IRA up to 3% of your annual earnings.
- 10 Annual Floating Holidays & 120 Hours PTO Annually beginning rate
- Professional Development & Training Opportunities