Garden Manager- Islandwood
Classification: Full-time/Annual, Hourly/Non-exempt
Work Schedule: Monday thru Friday
Work Location: Bainbridge Island Campus
Benefit Package: 100% Paid for FT Employees (medical, dental, vision, life, STD/LTD, HSA)
FT employees qualify for 401k, 3 weeks paid vacation, 2 Floating Holiday and sick leave, 10 paid Holidays.
FT employees qualify for Commuter Program
• Guides the vision of IslandWood garden education.
• Manages garden budget, maintains records and orders garden-related supplies.
• Oversees the planting schedule and garden care plan for outdoor garden space and greenhouse.
• Coordinates projects for garden volunteers, graduate student workers, and interns.
•Trains summer camp instructors and graduate students Works in partnership with Facilities staff to care for and maintain physical assets.
• Manages and trains garden graduate staff & Oversees bee upkeep with bee keeper volunteer.
• Works across teams to coordinate community events, private events, donor engagement and fundraising objectives. Supports partnerships with regional garden education community-based organizations.
• Teaches garden classes and delivers garden programs.
• Oversees the development and execution of lessons for all programming (camps, conferences, etc.)
• Provides training and support to graduate students and education coordinators, .
• Supports IslandWood’s strategic plan to expand our mission and impact, and commitment to mission, vision, values and goals.
• Demonstrate IslandWood’s core values that enable teams and individuals to succeed with shared respect and purpose.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education/experience in Horticulture, Agriculture, or food systems.
- Education background and experience in direct delivery of educational programs.
- Experience running a year-round greenhouse.
- Knowledge of PNW natural history and ecology and/or PNW cultural history.
- Experience in plant ecology, gardening and/or soil science.
- Experience in management, adult education, and program development.
- Experience teaching at a variety of age levels, with a focus on elementary and adult education.
- Experience working with and facilitating groups of volunteers, teachers, and other adult audiences.
- Demonstrate IslandWood’s core values that enable teams and individuals to succeed with shared respect and purpose.
- Commitment to support IslandWood’s work towards justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- Must comply with and maintain a drug-free work environment.
- Must pass child safety screening procedure, post offer.
- Certification in Basic First Aid, CPR; WFR certification desired (can be provided by IslandWood after hire)
- Experience working with staff, students, and clients from diverse backgrounds.
Effective 07 February 2022, IslandWood requires all staff, volunteers, docents, interns, and graduate students to receive a COVID-19 vaccine and to provide proof of inoculation including Booster.
This decision is intended to aid in the safety and health of all persons delivering and/or supporting program delivery, our clients, and students.
IslandWood is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. We encourage diverse applicants because we believe having a staff that authentically reflects the community, we serve is critical to our ability to be culturally responsive.