The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, September 30, 2022, 5:00pm
The Hike Inn is a sustainably designed, LEED certified Georgia State Park facility nestled in the mountains of Chattahoochee National Forest at a secluded location five miles by trail above Amicalola Falls State Park. Georgia's only backcountry lodge offers unique guest experiences with twenty private guest rooms, hot showers, fresh linens and home-cooked meals. The Hike Inn’s mission is to facilitate a connection with nature, conservation and sustainability and to protect Georgia’s natural resources through education and recreation. Serving as a wilderness retreat and learning resource center, a visit to the Hike Inn inspires a love for hiking, nature and environmental stewardship.
NATURALIST POSITION SUMMARY:
The Hike Inn is seeking a dedicated individual to conduct environmental education programming and support overall general operations and guest services. Inspiring connection to nature and conservation, Hike Inn naturalists have an important role in fostering environmental knowledge and support for sustainability to our guests and youth program students.
The Hike Inn Outside School program hosts school and youth groups for overnight educational trips to the Inn. On the hike, the students may learn about the history of the Appalachian Trail and public lands, Leave No Trace principles, natural history and ecological processes of the Southern Appalachian forests. At the Inn, the students participate with hands on learning of green building and sustainability practices, focusing on solar energy, both photovoltaic and solar thermal; energy efficiency; water conservation with composting toilets, rain water catchment and native garden design; soil conservation with vermiculture and bin composting; and participation with our infamous Zero Food Waste tradition during meals.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all around guest services, general office duties and manager shift responsibilities.
- Present educational and engaging facility tour offered daily for guests.
- Develop two to three presentations for evening program offered nightly for guests.
- Coordinate planning and logistics for educational groups.
- Develop or adapt curriculum for school groups visits to the Hike Inn.
- Evaluate education programming: review evaluations from guests, students and teachers; propose new ideas to further improve programming and implementation process.
- Prepare monthly newsletter; write, edit and publish content; coordinate tasks with team
- Maintain social media accounts on Instagram and Facebook.
- Monitor solar energy generation with SolarEdge and Enphase software and maintain LEED certification data logs.
- Perform additional functions assigned at the discretion of Executive Director and Managers.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES:
- Bachelor’s degree in natural science, environmental education or a related field.
- Experience in education and program development.
- Strength in public speaking as well as formal and informal education.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ecology and Georgia natural history, Georgia conservation issues and solutions, green building/LEED certification and sustainability practices.
- Experience in guest/customer services.
- Proven leadership with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and independently of supervisor with a high degree of initiative, motivation and attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills; must be able to manage multiple projects, keep accurate records and work efficiently without direct supervision.
- Personal qualities of integrity, positive attitude and commitment to the Hike Inn education, conservation and responsible outdoor recreation mission.
- Proficient in Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Have current CPR and First Aid certifications or willingness to complete training shortly after being hired.
- Ability to perform physically challenging work in the outdoors and in all weather conditions; must be able to hike five miles.
- Starting hourly wage $12-$15 per hour determined by experience and qualifications.
- Health insurance supplement of $150 per month after 3 months.
- IRA investment plan with up to 3% matching funds available after 3 months.
- Private room and board with all utilities included ($1000+/month value); common living areas are shared with other staff members; the selected candidate is required to live on site; no dependents or pets.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter detailing interest in the position with relevant experience and qualifications, and a resume with three professional references to:
Natalie Mooney, Len Foote Hike Inn General Manager at email@example.com
We will conduct phone interviews with qualified applicants. Strong candidates will be invited to the Hike Inn for a working interview (one or two-night stay). This will give candidates a good sense of who we are, what we do and how you may best complement and support the Hike Inn team in meeting our mission. We will have you help the staff with the daily guest services routine as well as present a short education program.
For more information, please visit www.hike-inn.com