PreK–8th Grade Environmental Educator
Website:Elm City Montessori School
Elm City Montessori School, launched in August 2014, is New Haven’s first public Montessori school. We are seeking Classroom Assistants to support us in building a vibrant and healthy learning environment in our new and growing school. We will serve more than 300 students between the ages of 3 and 13 by 2022-23. New Haven, Connecticut is a thriving arts, cultural, and education hub, located in the center of a growing community of public Montessori schools.
About the position:
The Environmental Educator works in partnership with our classrooms to plan and lead outdoor learning opportunities for our PreK-8th grade students. This is a full time 10-Month role with required August Training before the school year begins.
The ideal applicant has a Bachelor’s Degree in environmental education or a related field, has significant experience in providing environmental education, is familiar with the Montessori method and/or has experience working in a public school setting, collaborating as a member of a teaching faculty, supervising children, and supporting learning for students with special needs. The ideal applicant is kind, caring, compassionate, enthusiastic, well-organized, bilingual (Spanish), and creative with excellent communication skills.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Environmental Education, Outdoor Learning
- Planning and leading nature-based lessons and cross-curricular activities for groups of children, PreK-8th grade
- Supervising for physical, social, and emotional safety in an outdoor, play based setting. Maintaining outdoor learning spaces.
- Meeting social and emotional needs of children, including setting group routines and group culture, and modifying plans and schedules to meet the needs of individual children, and centering anti-bias and anti-racist practices.
- Willingness to be flexible and work with coworkers to adapt plans to students’ developmental needs, weather conditions, and other needs of the day
- Engage in the physical requirements of this role, including being physically active for the majority of a scheduled work shift, safely navigating outdoor terrain that includes uneven and unpaved surfaces, sitting on the ground, carrying a backpack with teaching supplies, and teaching outside in weather conditions including heat, rain, cold, and snow.
- Stewarding our outdoor nature-based extended day program
Collaboration and Professional Learning
- Communicates and interacts regularly and appropriately with students, faculty, staff and administration, maintaining positive relationships
- Meets regularly with classroom team, engaging in planning of activities
- Attends and actively participates in all require professional learning and events
- Keeps conﬁdential information about students and families conﬁdential at all times
- Maintains all professional certiﬁcations necessary
- Seeks opportunities for professional development
- Performs other duties as assigned
If you have additional questions about this application, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants may fill out ECMS Employment Application
$35,000-$40,000, based on education and experience. Medical, vision and dental benefits available.