Rogers Environmental Education Center - Executive Director
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Friends of Rogers Environmental Education Center (FOR) is accepting applications for the position of Executive Director (ED). The ED is the chief executive officer of FOR, reports to the Board of Directors (BOD), manages the Center staff, interns and volunteers, and is responsible for its overall strategic direction, leadership, administration and facility operation. Friends of Rogers is a private not-for-profit corporation that operates the Rogers Environmental Education Center in Sherburne, NY. This position is full-time, at a salaried pay scale of $50,000 - $55,000 plus benefits.
- Provide leadership in the development, refinement and implementation of the long term strategic plan, aligning resources to annual goals to achieve the FOR mission and vision;
- Maintain the local, regional and national profile of the Rogers Center;
- Interface with New York State Department of Environmental Conservation staff on infrastructure management and support;
- Work closely with the Executive Committee and special BOD committees.
Organizational and Financial Management
- Oversee and manage 600 acre property, including Visitor Center, fish ponds, outdoor classroom, interpretive exhibits, Stone House, farm field leases, six miles of nature trails and 700-tap sugarbush and sugar shack;
- Provide financial management in partnership with FOR’s CPA and the Finance Committee which includes the development of the annual budget, fund raising, and grant management;
- Collaborate with Rogers’ Director of Development to develop diversified funding streams through a robust multi-year fund development plan;
- Manage staff to carry out day-to-day facility operations and create a positive culture to recruit, retain and recognize highly qualified staff, board members and volunteers while fostering a positive environment that promotes creativity and effective problem solving;
- Engage individual members and community partners, including funders, elected officials, and other organizations;
- Support appropriate grant application efforts to enable the organization to deliver on its mission.
- Oversee program development, management and evaluation including Summer Adventure Camp, Annual Event programs, School Field Trips and other programs;
- Lead membership growth, resource development, and advocacy on behalf of the organization, with a commitment to becoming a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable organization;
- Develop and cultivate key relationships and partnerships with community stakeholders to generate revenue and resources to sustain FOR mission, programs and operations;
- Effectively communicate the mission and goals of the organization to a diverse audience, maintain and develop new partnerships, and build and mobilize financial, community, and political support.
- Bachelor’s degree in non-profit or business administration, education, planning, environmental sciences or closely related field; master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years of senior management experience in a non-profit organization including a strong background in fund development and budget development, with a demonstrated track record.
- Strong marketing, public relations and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and strong project management skills.
- Demonstrated management experience with a focus on staff coaching, support, development and empowerment.
- Demonstrated commitment and dedication to environmental education and natural resource protection.
- Creative problem solver; entrepreneurial and results oriented
- Strategic thinker and planner
- Relationship builder; strong networker
- Strong business acumen: knowledge and understanding of financial, accounting, marketing and operational functions of an organization and the ability to make sound business decisions
- Experience and enthusiasm for educational programming
- Strong sense of community and passion for FOR’s mission
- Inspirational leader with strong people management skills
How to Apply:
To apply: Please send résumé, cover letter and list of three references to FriendsofRogersBoard@gmail.com. Candidates will be considered until the position is filled.