Culturally Responsive Learning: Hip Hop Music, Student Voice, and Creative Agency
Date and Time:
Thursday, February 23, 2023, 1:00pm
The most powerful resource in a classroom or program is tapping into our students’ diverse imaginations, observations, hopes, and dreams. Including Hip Hop Music within your curriculum is a powerful and culturally responsive method for achieving student engagement, empowerment, and achievement. In this interactive workshop, we will explore the history of hip hop, its elements, and critical narratives as a means to connect directly to students’ identity development, social consciousness, self-reflection, and collective knowledge production. We will explore practical applications of using Hip Hop music in our curriculum and programs. Learn more about this workshop>
Participants will receive Professional Certificates
This Learning Lab experience is an excellent opportunity for teachers seeking to help students emotionally and culturally connect to and navigate the complex social issues in our society and around the globe.
Our Guide and Coach will be Issac Carter
This Learning and Design Lab will be an intimate professional learning opportunity led by Issac Carter, Ph.D, CWI’s Senior Lead Associate for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Issac is a veteran educator and musicologist. and brings a wealth of teaching and lived experience, deep knowledge, and personal passion to our process. For more than three decades, Issac has supported student learning projects and programs focused on personal identity, equity, and the community. He leads CWI professional development sessions and coaching for K-20 and community based educators across the U.S. and beyond, around helping them to build deep, practical and lasting community focused curriculum and programs.
This Learning Lab experience will prepare participants to:
- Explore and understand examples of Hip Hop curriculum and pedagogy that nurture students’ personal narratives social problems, sense of self, and their sense of place.
- Develop a clear understanding of your own positionality and how it relates to culturally responsive teaching.
- Use a call and response framework for student engagement, learning, and personal growth.
- Understand and apply the benefits of Hip Hop music for fostering and modeling emotional and cultural intelligence.
- Create cross-disciplinary teaching intersections that support intentional Social Emotional Learning outcomes.
- Make connections with our growing network of like minded educators, supporting each other in deepening their practice.