Prescribed Fire for Oak Management
Date and Time:
Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 9:00am to 3:00pm
Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 11:59pm
The goal of this workshop is to understand how prescribed fire can be used as a silvicultural practice for oak on private lands. To accomplish this, we will use a combination of field tours and discussions to cover fire ecology and behavior, importance of burn season, impacts on wildlife, and selecting the proper burn prescription to meet your oak management goals.
By the end of this workshop you will be able to:
- describe the difference between fire intensity and fire severity and how it applies to oak management.
- explain how burn season influences fire behavior and in turn oak regeneration.
- describe how plant phenology can interact with fire behavior to influence succession following fire.
- explain the impact of prescribed fire on wildlife (white-tailed deer, game birds, song birds, Lyme disease)
- develop a burn prescription customized to your oak management goals
- incorporate prescribed fire into MFL plans as a silvicultural practice
How to Register:
Register online at: https://www.uwsp.edu/cnr-ap/fedi/Pages/prescribed-fire.aspx