Earth Educators' Rendezvous 2020
Date and Time:
Monday, July 13, 2020, 8:30am to Friday, July 17, 2020, 5:00pm
Saturday, July 4, 2020, 5:00pm
Our program is designed to appeal to everyone from the instructor attending their first Earth education-themed meeting, to experienced STEM education researchers, to administrators who want to better support students in their programs.
The Rendezvous' combination of workshops, posters, talks, round-table discussions, and plenary presentations is designed to help guide participants through a suite of interrelated challenges that are characteristic of Earth Education in schools, colleges, and universities today by:
- providing instructors who are teaching Earth topics at all educational levels (K-16) with examples of instructional strategies that have been shown to improve student learning
- addressing teaching challenges specific to particular settings (e.g., large classes, labs, field work), topics (e.g., teaching about sustainability, atmospheric science), or skills (e.g., spatial reasoning)
- developing students' competency in a range of geoscientific tasks that involve higher order skills such as systems thinking, data analysis and quantitative skills
- supporting instructors and administrators in creating lessons and programming to increase the number and diversity of students who learn about Earth
- helping graduate students and post-docs prepare for an academic career in Earth-related disciplines
- collaborating with colleagues across the disciplines to situate learning about Earth in a societal context
- supporting current and future teachers in successfully implementing the Next Generation Science Standards
- pursuing education research that supports our ability to address these challenges
A tentative schedule is available online at https://serc.carleton.edu/earth_rendezvous/2020/program/index.html
- Working group application deadline: Monday, March 2, 2020
- Abstract/poster/teaching demo submission deadline: Monday, March 2, 2020
- Travel stipend application deadline: Monday, April 6, 2020
- Early registration deadline: Monday, May 4, 2020 (save $100)
- Activity Review Camp application deadline: Monday, May 4, 2020
- Late poster or Share-a-Thon presentation deadline: Monday, May 18, 2020
How to apply/register:
You may register online via the conference website. Rates are available for early registration as well as single day and full conference participation.
- The daily registration fee covers all events (including morning workshops) except the pre- and post-Rendezvous field trips.
- Morning workshops have limited space so you must select yours as part of your registration. Register early to ensure a spot!
- Afternoon events (mini workshops, plenaries, poster and oral sessions, share-a-thon, and teaching demonstrations) are open to everyone who has registered for that day.
- Participants are responsible for their own meals and accommodations (room blocks are available at a discounted rate).
- If you wish to contribute an abstract you must submit an abstract in addition to registering for the Rendezvous.