Ocean Education Conference
Date and Time:
Sunday, August 16, 2020, 12:00am to Thursday, August 20, 2020, 11:59pm
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 11:47pm
The Northwest Aquatic and Marine Educators and the Canadian Network for Ocean Education invite educators, researchers, students, and resource professionals from the Pacific Northwest and across Canada to meet, learn, share, and socialize at the 2020 NAME/CaNOE summer conference from August 16–20, 2020. The conference will be held at beautiful Pearson College UWC, located along the forested shores of the Pacific Ocean at sheltered Pedder Bay, about 29 km southwest of Victoria, BC. The conference program will include a variety of plenary sessions, workshops, presentations, field trips, social events, and time for networking.
Northwest Aquatic and Marine Educators (NAME) is a dynamic organization of professionals dedicated to sharing the world of water and using the allure of marine and freshwater places to excite audiences about learning.
The Canadian Network for Ocean Education (CaNOE) is a registered society created in 2014 to advance ocean literacy in Canada by connecting individuals, organizations, and stakeholder groups across diverse communities.
Educators, researchers, students, and resource professionals who attend the 2020 NAME/CaNOE conference will:
- Learn and plan for the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021 – 2030)
- Discover resources and information from organizations working toward sustainable ecosystems and discuss how they relate to ocean and aquatic education, such as:
- UN Sustainable Development Goals, especially those related to ecosystems and climate
- IOC-UNESCO ocean literacy efforts and resources including the Ocean Literacy Portal
- Canadian Coalition for Ocean Literacy’s proposed National Strategy for Ocean Literacy
- CaNOE’s 2019 report “What is Canadian Ocean Literacy?” and new initiatives in Canada
- Enjoy opportunities for networking, discussion, and learning new content and strategies
- Share activities, lessons, and resources that can help classroom teachers incorporate ocean literacy concepts into their curriculum
- Explore and discuss current issues in marine and aquatic science:
- Identify and understand issues related to local marine and aquatic species
- Learn about current research and policy initiatives
- Address challenges and opportunities arising from BC’s new concept-based and competency-driven curriculum