Rethink Outside Workshop: Strategic Storytelling for Social Change
Date and Time:
Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 10:00am to Thursday, October 29, 2020, 11:30am
Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 5:00pm
Encompassing both storytelling theory and practical application, this hands-on workshop will build the capacity of environmental education practitioners to craft compelling stories using the frame of the Rethink Outside shared narrative developed in collaboration by Blue Sky Funders Forum members and partners. Participants will build, share and reflect on a story that communicates how their work contributes to healthy communities for all. Participants will work in small groups to refine their stories, will have optional one-on-one coaching sessions, and the opportunity to present their final stories to the entire class.
Who should attend
This workshop is open to anyone in the environmental education field who would like to learn the power of storytelling for communicating with funders, partners, volunteers and other stakeholders. No prior communications or storytelling experience is required, but each student will need access to a laptop or tablet, an internet connection, and curiosity about storytelling. Access to a printer is also recommended.
- Session One: Values-based storytelling and the Rethink Outside narrative; Communications during COVID-19, using the Rethink Outside narrative
- Session Two: Audiences and story structure
- Session Three: Ethical storytelling and stories well told
- Session Four: Pulling it all together - your stories
- Four, 90-minute sessions of live, virtual instruction
- Breakout sessions for workshopping your story with peers and coaches
- Invitation to a course-specific Google Forum for sharing content, soliciting feedback and accessing lesson recordings
- Opportunities to practice and refine your story
- Customized workbook for crafting and using your story
- Optional one-on-one coaching sessions with instructors during or following the workshop dates (additional cost)
Cost to attend is $350 per participant. Zoom Video Conferencing software (available for free from Zoom.com) will be used to facilitate the workshop.